Head of Engineering
Prezzee is a digital gift card and payments business operating in Australia, the United States and the United Kingdom. Founded in 2014 to evolve the art of gifting, in Australia we now offer the largest marketplace for e-Gift cards. We have 200+ retail partners, and have reached over 21 millions consumers so far.
Listed 15th on the Deloitte Tech Fast 50 in 2020, and considered the 5th fastest growing tech company in Australia in 2019, Prezzee has doubled the team size and expanded into 4 new markets with a record growth of 519% compared to 2019, achieving incredible commercial success.
At Prezzee we are givers, and when you give it comes from the heart. Our values demonstrate how we connect the heart and the head. As one team, we shoot for the stars, transforming gifting into a magical experience and delivering happiness one ‘Prezzee’ at a time, everytime to achieve our strategic ambitions.
To continue to drive this growth we are looking to appoint a Head of Engineering who will lead our incredible team of Engineers, manage partner engagements and help scale our business to be a globally recognised organisation.
The role is instrumental in achieving Prezzee’s FY22 strategic ambitions, one that is looking to disrupt the gift card and payments market globally.
What you will do at Prezzee:
- Lead a rapidly growing and diverse team of talented engineers encompassing web, mobile and back-end delivery.
- Create an engaging environment for the engineering team by ensuring the team is supported and set up for success in terms of skills, team structures and delivery practices and are having fun and constantly developing.
- Lead and support the team in making decisions with regards to application architecture and delivery practices and technologies.
- Provide input to delivery roadmaps and product design by working collaboratively with our Product Team, Scrum Master and other delivery team members.
- Support the team to ensure we deliver on agreed business priorities and commitments.
- Achieve results through others (internally and externally), ensuring a collaborative and relationship-based approach to achieve our outcomes.
- Lead the team through complexity and ambiguity by sharing the challenges transparently, leveraging the skill, capability and experience of those around you and your external network / partners to identify potential solutions or recommendations with the Tech or broader leadership teams.
- You are able to attract, lead, motivate and retain high quality teams.
- You develop clear coaching, development and succession plans that enable personal and professional success, growing capability – our people grow as we do.
- No issue is too big or small when protecting our brand and living our values.
- You will instil a strong sense of ‘team’ and will have the ability to unite everyone ‘globally’ around the outcomes required whilst encouraging an inclusive and fun work environment.
- You actively promote and support a safe, healthy and secure workplace for yourself, your co- workers, team and any other person at the workplace.
- Work with the CTO and the rest of the IT Leadership Team to explore new ways of delivering features for our customers, whether that be by trialling new technologies, practices and/or partners.
- Be part of the broader Prezzee Leadership Team, ensuring we continue to build a global business which has the customer at its heart.
A little bit about yourself:
- You love what you do second only to putting the customer at the front of every decision.
- You are very comfortable working across multiple teams and stakeholders.
- You thrive in growth businesses – you understand the growth agenda and are able to move at pace to achieve ambitious growth plans and objectives.
- You are comfortable working in an environment where systems and processes continue to mature and evolve and enjoy playing a part in this evolution.
- You want to help build a global business knowing this will involve, at times, long hours, lots of discussions and debates, being challenged, and challenging back.
- You will be energetic, enthusiastic yet considered and calm under pressure.
- You are able to speak up and be heard, you are driven, and ready to really make your mark on a global scale, thriving on success.
- You get things done - you are analytical, organised, and manage competing priorities with ease.
- You have a sense of urgency and, through a commercial mindset, genuinely see Prezzee maintaining its market leadership and position of first-mover advantage.
- You can embed an agile way of working that will allow for a ‘growth mindset’.
On the technical side, you have:
- Experience leading large and diverse engineering teams (20+) in an agile environment, demonstrating servant-leadership in all you do.
- The ability to challenge the status quo where you see opportunities for improvement, occasionally being considered a maverick, and in respectful ways, take everyone on the journey with data-driven reasoning, empathy and understanding.
- You enjoy and are energised by working in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment.
- The drive to strive for best-practice solutions which deliver demonstrable business outcomes, whether this be for a customer experience or new innovative technology to improve our delivery practices.
- Experience with a variety of delivery models, including a strong network of specialists and partners who can effectively engage to support internal teams.
- Worked within both small and large organisations.
- Strong experience in Agile delivery, DevOps culture and Digital solutions.
- A strong development background with advanced knowledge of AWS technologies.
- Thorough knowledge of DevOps and CI/CD practices.
- A strong understanding of different architectures, ranging from monolithic to microservices and serverless, and the different development practices and pros/cons relating to each.
- Exposure to React/Reason and Django Python would be an advantage.
At Prezzee, we are givers. Our products enable gift-giving, but we are so much more than that. Our values are the wrapping paper around our ideal shared people experiences. Our values are to give openness, give greatness, give magic, and most of all, always give a damn.
Some extra goodies
- You will work alongside an experienced team who will challenge you every day (and expect you to challenge them back.)
- We run an incentive scheme based on both company-wide targets because we are all in the same boat, as well as individual KPI’s.
- Generous employee referral program and staff discounts.
Work-life integration and genuine flexibility is our natural norm. Health, safety, and wellbeing is important too – it always comes first. So whilst we prefer to be connected and have our people work on-site, we work hard to support Covid-19 safe work practices, also accommodating the different lifestyles of our team members so that everyone is set up for success and empowered to do their best work either in the office or at home.