Senior Backend Engineer
Prezzee is a digital gift card and payments business operating in Australia, the United States and the United Kingdom. Founded in 2014 to evolve the art of gifting, in Australia we now offer the largest marketplace for e-Gift cards. We have 200+ retail partners, and have reached over 21 millions consumers so far.
Listed 15th on the Deloitte Tech Fast 50 in 2020, and considered the 5th fastest growing tech company in Australia in 2019, Prezzee has doubled the team size and expanded into 4 new markets with a record growth of 519% compared to 2019, achieving incredible commercial success.
At Prezzee we are givers, and when you give it comes from the heart. Our values demonstrate how we connect the heart and the head. As one team, we shoot for the stars, transforming gifting into a magical experience and delivering happiness one ‘Prezzee’ at a time, everytime to achieve our strategic ambitions.
We are looking to expand the engineering team and appoint a new Senior Backend Engineer to join our fast-growing team. In this role you will apply your coding expertise, and brilliant mind to every technical challenge. You will showcase your skills and collaborate within an elite team of engineers that strive to help each other succeed. As the Senior Backend Software Engineer, you will be supporting a highly motivated and agile team to deliver excellence in all areas of our business and enable us as we continue to grow.
What you will do at Prezzee:
- Have backend-focused ownership of projects including the design, development and optimization of the underlying infrastructure.
- Deliver quality and clean testable code for our web apps and APIs.
- Minimise solution complexity.
- Perform code reviews and share ownership of the code base.
- Embed an agile way of working that will allow for a ‘growth mindset’.
- Work in a challenging, and fun environment.
A little bit about yourself:
- You love what you do second only to putting the customer at the front of every decision.
- You thrive in growth businesses – you understand the growth agenda and are able to move at pace to achieve ambitious growth plans and objectives.
- You are comfortable working in an environment where systems and processes have not been fully developed yet.
- You demonstrate Agile behaviours that emphasises collaboration, delivery, reflection and improvement.
- You want to help build a global business knowing this will involve, at times, long hours, much travel, lots of discussions and debates, being challenged and challenging back.
- You will be energetic, enthusiastic yet considered and calm under pressure.
- You are able to speak up and be heard, you are driven, and ready to really make you mark on a global scale, thriving on success.
- You get things done - you understand the need to achieve both company and personal goals even when they may not align from time to time.
On the technical side, you have:
- Strong understanding of algorithm complexity, data structures, concurrency & systems performance.
- Extensive professional experience with Python, PHP or Go backend development, and the ability to deliver quality code.
- You have excellent knowledge of at least 2 of the following languages: Python, PHP, Go, Java, C/C++, Ruby, Scala.
- You have extensive understanding and experience with at least one of the following frameworks: Django (Python), Spring (Java), Rails (Ruby), Symfony, Laravel, CakePHP.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of object-orientated programming principles, design patterns and refactoring techniques.
- Experience in developing microservice, ideally leveraging serverless technologies such as lambda.
- You write clean, testable code and have previous experience with TDD.
- Strong experience integrating backend applications with RESTful web services and MySQL or PostgreSQL databases.
- Previous experience working with authentication schemes before, (e.g. OAuth2, JWT).
- Strong familiarity with CI/CD best practices.
At Prezzee, we are givers. Our products enable gift-giving, but we are so much more than that. Our values are the wrapping paper around our ideal shared people experiences. Our values are to give openness, give greatness, give magic, and most of all, always give a damn.
Some extra goodies
- You will work alongside an experienced team who will challenge you every day (and expect you to challenge them back.)
- We run an incentive scheme based on both company-wide targets because we are all in the same boat, as well as individual KPI’s.
- Generous employee referral program and staff discounts.
Work-life integration and genuine flexibility is our natural norm. Health, safety, and wellbeing is important too – it always comes first. So whilst we prefer to be connected and have our people work on-site, we work hard to support Covid-19 safe work practices, also accommodating the different lifestyles of our team members so that everyone is set up for success and empowered to do their best work either in the office or at home.